As humans, we all experience events that lead to trauma at some time in our lives. Whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster, the way we respond to trauma can significantly impact our recovery.
While many people recover from trauma with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may experience the effects of lasting, unhealed trauma. Not taking time out to process and heal from trauma, can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or post-traumatic stress for long periods of time after the event has passed.
When this occurs, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist are fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to DSM-5, here are four types of trauma symptoms listed below:
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares, or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has shown that psychotherapy is the most effective form of treatment for trauma. While cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) are the most common treatments, your therapist at MyNOW Wellness will use a root-cause approach in determining the most appropriate treatment, and partner with you, to curate a recovery program specific to your needs.
If you or someone you know can relate with the trauma symptoms listed above, We are confident that we can help and invite you to contact us for a free consultation.
Let’s get you started on your healing journey today!